Christmas Coconut Barkby scottdogs 23 Dec 2016
Coconut Bark Recipe: Live Love Nourish
A healthy dairy free, refined sugar free version of white christmas; Christmas Coconut Bark. This dairy free, gluten free, preservative free and paleo recipe is one for lovers of coconut! It's rich coconut flavour and subtle sweetness is just the perfect balance to satisfy your sweet tooth without over-indulging in sugary treats.¬†
- Coconut Butter¬†gives you a great satiating effect helping to curb sugar cravings and provide your body with slow release energy.
- Coconut Oil is a good source of healthy fat that provides anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
- Pistachios contain good amounts of vitamin E, B-vitamins and are a rich source of phyto-chemicals.
- With this recipes healthy fat content, its slow release of energy helps to keep your blood sugar levels stable without sugar spikes.
- 1 cup coconut butter
- 2/3 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp pure maple Syrup or raw honey or liquid stevia to taste
- 1/3 cup organic shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup pistachios, shelled and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup preservative free cranberries, roughly chopped
In a¬†blender¬†or food processor combine coconut butter, coconut oil and maple syrup or honey until well combined.
Spread thinly (approximately 1/2 cm) onto a lined slice tin. Sprinkle with shredded coconut, pistachios and cranberries and gently push these toppings into the unset coconut base.
Transfer to refrigerator for 1- 2 hours or until set.
Once set, break into pieces and store in an air-tight container in refrigerator until ready to eat.
Make it Personal:
- Add orange zest to topping.
- Add additional maple syrup or honey if you like things extra sweet.
- Add vanilla bean powder to coconut mixture.
- If your bark is a little rich you can add a little extra extra virgin coconut oil.
- I choose organic dried cranberries (to avoid added preservatives) as well as being fruit juice sweetened (in stead of added sugar). You can buy these at health food stores.
Originally featured on Live Love Nourish health and nutrition hub.